Tuesday, February 5, 2008

WYA Seminar/Workshop Series #2: Juggling!

WYA International kicked off 2008 with a juggling workshop hosted by Viveca Gardiner, president of Playful Productions and co-founder of JuggleNYC.com.
Check out this extremely happy invitation:
Why juggling? It's one of my favorite activities to date. I met Viveca and the other Carmine Street Jugglers right after I was out of grad school, so juggling was major therapy for me.
The diversity of jugglers easily made them my favorite group of New Yorkers. How else can you find scientists, mathematicians, ex-rabbi clowns, teachers, artists and geeks all gathered together? Viveca herself has an interesting background: She was a literature major in Harvard, and has a business degree from Yale.
A few sessions with the Carminers made me realize that people juggle for a myriad of reasons. It's very therapeutic; there's something about rhythmically tossing stuff in the air that just eases headaches and stress. It's one of those exercises that integrates the right and left brain. It's a moving meditation -- yoga for the brain.
Here, some WYA members and friends begin their first juggling class:
For the workshop, I was excited because Sean, probably the best juggler I've seen in NYC, was coming. I've seen him juggle probably 10 or 11 rings at once. He never disappoints:


Here, he is demonstrating his trademark trick, the Chandelier:



I was impressed by how young they can be. Our third speaker, Kyle, is still in high school, but is already set on joining the Cirque du Soleil. Give him some clubs, and it's hard for him to stand still:



In her talk, Viveca spoke about how juggling is one of those things that no one can give to nor take away from you. It's one of the most joyful and rewarding activities. The ability to go from three balls to four depends solely on one's determination. I guess that it is for this reason that there is a lot of camaraderie among jugglers; everyone is usually more than willing to teach you, or even better, demonstrate. It's extremely addicting.

Did I mention that it also makes the brain bigger?


Meet three of the most coordinated, skilled people on the planet (From L-R: Sean, Viveca, Kyle)

No comments: