Saturday, February 9, 2008

Blue Sugar and Pink Farming Equipment

At an event we had at the WYA house last night, I figured out a way to take the WYA logo to the next diabetic level: by stenciling it onto cupcakes with blue sugar.

It's sad, but this isn't the nuttiest thing I've ever made.



The fanciness of the evening was only rivaled by the pain that my shoes were giving me. As the night went on, I came to the horrible conclusion that I need to brush up on etiquette and table manners. Years of being on the rush, all the time, have crippled my fine dining habits -- I barely know which glass is for which wine, never mind from which side of the person I should serve the food. I don't even think I know how to operate a coffee machine; I normally microwave water for two minutes, dump two teaspoons of coffee, and off I go. For someone who has plucked out brain cells, dissected embryos, and worked on complicated microscopes for hours, I found this night a bit disconcerting and educational.
I should have done what most aspiring actors do: take a waitressing job.

Later, in possibly one of the funniest snapshots of pathetic-ism, behold, WYA staff and interns (I had to hold the camera), holding the coats for the guests on their way out:

We waited for quite a while downstairs, and, feeling restless, started singing and horsing around:

***

The next day, I crawled out of bed long enough to watch one of my taekwondo teachers take his test for his fourth degree black belt. Whee! I am so inspired! He did a form with a pair of
kamas, which are, hands down, way cooler than my sai. I cannot wait to get my own! They're even available in pink! This is so exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I love your blog-ness
2. CUPCAKE DOMINATION!
3. Remind me to discuss baking w/you...I am now obsessed
Besitos,
Rowzuh

WYA Africa said...

Oh God! I love it, Let me confess that Maria did the best by printing out the instructions on serving and clearing dishes, otherwise many saucers would have been seen 'flying' around the dinner room courtesy of my shaky hands that still need a lot of coordination.....

WYA Africa said...

Thanks for being honest, thanks to Maria for printing out some guidelines on serving and clearing dishes, otherwise some saucers would have been seen 'flying' during the dinner, courtesy of my shaky, messy hands.hahaha!