Monday, April 7, 2008

The Sunshine Post #8

Hello dears!



Show and tell!


Because I miss doing this with Maria, here is an e-mail with a photo. Look! Look! Happy-ness!


(I can't upload this right now. Oh boo. Will try again later.)


It's supposed to be a modern take on Asian basket bags, but made of a more durable waterproof material and was handmade in Thailand. It's one of the Happiest Bags in the World and it's mine for $15! The slots on the side are perfect for my arnis sticks! It's the happy bag with deadly objects.


***
I just finished reading this adorable graphic novel called, "Goodbye, Chunky Rice." It's about this turtle, Chunky Rice (I'm not kidding), who leaves home to see the world and has to leave behind his little mouse friend, Dandel. At sea, he meets Ruth and Livinore, a set of bickering conjoined twins, and Charles, their cynical captain. Aieee!!!! It is so happy and profound and I can totally relate to that turtle… I will make my own one day, but with weirder names. And I will reincarnate you all as happy creatures.


***
I have realized that it's already April and I have yet to read a novel. I've been busy devouring monographs, graphic novels, and design books that I have no time to read stuff like The Manuscript found in Saragossa (yet). Yay! I christen 2008 as the year where I just make my own stuff and look at other people's work in hopes of getting inspired. I think I have to temporarily leave the age where I read things just to escape from reality.



***
I had coffee with one of my best guy friends over the weekend (Phil! Phil! It just occurred to me that you two are so alike. Your birthdays are a day apart, you're both really tall and super smart, and you both have really low voices that turn falsetto when feeling shock and indignation.) It's great to know that despite everything changing, some things are still the same.



***
I am slowly bonding with the WYA people here in good ol' Asia Pacific. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I was holding myself back a bit, perhaps unfairly so, given that these are probably the most open, most accommodating, most outrageously happy group I've come across. I love them all! But I've had a lot of people enter and leave my life now. It's my weakness to rapidly get attached to living beings and I think I've evolved to not want to have too many strings attached to too many people, because they will leave me one day and I would not be able to bear it. If you lock me up in a room with a cactus, it and I will be best friends at the end of the day. It is almost impossible for me to un-love someone*.


* (As long as I remember that they exist.)


I was having lunch with one of them once, and she told me that I am "a bit hyperactive to be vegetarian." Haha! It's not the first time I was told this, and I doubt it will be the last.


I miss my jet-setting Grandma and my gay best friend.




Lots of love,
Cathy

No comments: